23 October 2012

Earth, Wind, Fire, Water

As the evening grows darker and colder, the technology slowly turns itself off.
I lay in bed, watching the flicker of my bedside flame bounce around the walls of my room, an experience so completely mesmerizing and calming. Just before sleep takes over my entire being, I blow out the gentle flame, and watch as my eyes adjust to the darkness.
As I turn over between my sheets, I notice the moonlight pouring into my window and flooding the top of my quilt, just as my overactive imagination decides to employ possible scenarios and run every thought from the day back through my mind.
As much as most despise those thoughts that their minds can't seem to get enough of at night just as they're trying to let the sweet sound of nothingness congest their heads, it's those thoughts exactly that gently lull me to sleep.
Knowing that I will sleep safely tonight, with the gentle moonlight wrapping me in its embrace; my multiple layers of blankets keeping me safe from the monsters in the closet and under the bed.
You say you're scared of the dark, I say the night is the best time of the day.
Only when the moon is highest in the sky do things take on the purest form of reality. Not only are words more pure, but thoughts have the freedom to roam at their own pace, dreams to push themselves even closer to the stars.
Only when the sun is on the other side of the earth, do we finally realize what is important to us most, do we realize we're safe and loved, do we realize, everything is magical, even when in the simplest form.
After all, the most magical thing at night is nodding off to sleep while watching the flame flicker back and forth to the slight winds seeping in through my cracked window, letting in just enough of the brisk Autumn air to be pleasant, finally giving my overactive imagination the chance to run away with itself.

Finally allowing my thoughts to overtake my mind, letting the possibilities of life resonate.

No comments:

Post a Comment